tuque /tūk/ n Canadian English, var. toque [19th c. Canadian French, from the French toque, from the Basque tauka] 1 A close-fitting knitted cap, often with a long tapering end or tassel or pompom. 2 fig Something quintessentially Canadian.
souq /sūk/ n from the Arabic سوق var. souk 1 An open-air marketplace. 2 fig A central meeting place for the circulation of news and ideas.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's in Your Tiffin? [a.k.a. A Week's Worth of Lunch]

Lunch time is tiffin time--the lovable, stackable, put-it-on-your-headable lunch pail of India. Everyday at work around two it's waiting for me in the canteen. PREM's kitchen staff keeps me well fed, sometimes a little too well. Here's a pretty typical week.


Monday:
Roti, rice, potato-garbanzo curry, mixed-veg curry, dhal, cabbage curry, omelette.

Tuesday:
Roti, fish curry, rice, aubergine curry, fried green beans & potatoes, dhal.

Wednesday:
Roti, rice, onion omelette, fried beans & potatoes, bitter gourd & potato curry.

Thursday:
Potato-aubergine curry, green bean curry, dhal, rice, omelette, roti.

Friday:
Roti, tomato-gourd curry, omelette, dhal, green beans, rice.

Saturday:
Peanut butter! By the spoonful. A man doesn't live by curry alone.

Sunday:
 Out on the street for some mutton kebabs. Tomorrow is another tiffin.

8 comments:

ashramblings said...

While part of me is often envious of my VSO colleagues whose NGOs have kitchens, as the food always looks so nice as we can see from your pictures, and you never need to spend time shopping or cooking through the week, the other part of me says I am lucky not to have this because I'd be sick of curry by the end of one week :) and I also dislike the feeling of having to eat what is produced, having no choice and might feel a bit institutionalised after 2 years :) I can understand why you head for the kebab walla on a Sunday!

Mike Roberts said...

I'm a huge fan of Saturday!

Isabel said...

Wow, that's a lot of food! In Laporiya it was roti and one vegetable dish.

The Tuque Souq said...

Sheila, the daily tiffin lunch actually makes me even more excited to shop for and cook my own (bland) supper! As I'm sure you know, 'sick of curry' just ain't an option.

Izzy, lucky you. To live in Orissa is to slowly thicken (until you get dysentery and lose all the weight!).

Roberts, Amen!

Unknown said...

I agree with Sheila - sometimes I wish I got fed in the office looking at this, but I think I'd just slowly put on more and more weight!

Has anyone managed to find any herbs in India yet? I'm thinking basil, rosemary, etc. I can get spices coming out of my ears, but herbs? Can't find them anywhere!

Ashley said...

Tim, two (oft used) words in my vocabulary: FAB INDIA

Yep, they have rosemary, thyme, basil and other western spices and herbs.

And yeah, I'm thankful that I don't have a catered lunch. Food is the one thing I have control over, as I'm always cooking!

ashramblings said...

Tim, I can't get green herbs here either with the exception of coriander. And coriander leaves and spinach etc all just wilt within one day, even now in winter. I only make it to market once a week or two and use the local sabzi walla otherwise, she only carries limited variety and nothing like these - for now its gobhi, gobhi, gobhi...

I did manage to get from an ex volunteer some fenegreek leaves, which are dried and in dark storage, so I use that for the likes of chicken - a bit like tarragon. I can get curry leaves and another leaf herb which I forget the Oriya name for because I decided I did not like it,too bitter.

I couldn't eat as much as Richard gets presented with in a week and still have room to eat more without getting very fat or being very sick through over eating! Where does he put it all?! Also I can't hack it on as little meat or fish, whilst I can stand veg meals for a few weeks, permanently my system doesn't function well on it, hence my first name terms with my chicken walla!

Ashley, unfortunately no Fab India or anything like it here.

My recent great find has been www.goldentipstea.com online tea shop and I splashed out for my birthday and ordered some exquisite teas. They surpass the tea dust or even the leaf tea sold here and only good for chai, but give me a good darjeeling or earl grey any day. My best find from the latest bunch was Rumtek, tea for Sikkim - a good string, tasty cuppa. I do miss my chinese teas however. You can all keep your coffees! With no tea/coffee in our office I just indulge a lot when at home :)

Unknown said...

I've just asked my boss here and he reckons that basil, rosemary, parsley and oregano all grow here (Jharkhand) so he's going to get me some, or find out where I can get them. The adventure continues....wish me luck!